Members and potential members look to the CALA Board of Directors for representation and leadership. To have a better vision of all that these Assisted Living leaders do for their companies and CALA members, we asked them a series of questions. Their answers illuminate their ideas on work, community, and caring for seniors, and show the breadth and variety of companies represented on the CALA Board of Directors. To celebrate these thoughtful, dedicated people working on our members’ behalf, we will feature weekly interviews with each board member, available here and on the CALA Board of Directors webpage.
Danielle Morgan handles operations for MBK Senior Living as the senior vice president of operations. Headquartered in Irvine, MBK has seven communities in the state.
1. Why do you work in Assisted Living?
I knew at a very young age that I wanted to work with seniors. Volunteering in the fourth grade at a nursing home and my first job as a server at age 16 in a CCRC drove me to major in long-term health care administration at Ohio University. Senior living is my calling.
2. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt, and why?
I always thought it would be fun to work in hospitality. Ironically, there are so many similarities to senior living.
3. What are the most important things we should know about your company?
We take into consideration our three core values when making decisions: 1) Customer Focus; 2) Inspired People; and 3) Financial Responsibility.
4. How would you describe your experience on the CALA board?
It is an honor to serve. I take my responsibility seriously.
5. What advice was given to you that you feel elevated your performance in life?
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.” – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
6. Who are your heroes, and why?
My Dad. He worked multiple jobs to provide educational opportunities to his children that he was never afforded.
7. If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not famous, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be, and why?
Princess Diana. What a beautiful human, inside and out.