Members and potential members look to the CALA Board of Directors for representation and leadership. To have a better vision of all that these Assisted Living leaders do for their companies and CALA members, we asked them a series of questions. Their answers illuminate their ideas on work, community, and caring for seniors, and show the breadth and variety of companies represented on the CALA Board of Directors. To celebrate these thoughtful, dedicated people working on our members’ behalf, we will feature weekly interviews with each board member, available here and on the CALA Board of Directors webpage.
As senior vice president of resident services, Sue McPherson oversees resident care for the 15 California communities of Aegis Senior Communities.
1. Why do you work in Assisted Living?
For the opportunity to provide senior care in an environment where residents are still allowed to have choice and independence.
2. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt, and why?
Oh, I always wanted to play the violin in an orchestra.
3. What are the most important things we should know about your company?
We encourage our staff members to be supportive and kind to one another throughout all levels of the organization which carries over to the way that care and services are provided to residents.
4. How would you describe your experience on the CALA board?
It is a definite commitment of time and involvement, but I find it very rewarding to make a contribution to the industry. At the same time, I gain so much that is of value to me personally, and to the company I work for.
5. What advice was given to you that you feel elevated your performance in life?
“Go out and flounder, I’m sure you will figure it out.” Advice from my first boss which was a little disconcerting, but gave me a lot of confidence and permission to sometimes fail.
6. If you could trade places with any other person for a week, with whom would it be, and why?
Rick Steves, the travel guide in Europe. I would love to explore and experience travel as he does.
7. What do you enjoy doing in your downtime?
Reading…I’ve discovered downloading books from the library on my ipad!