Members and potential members look to the CALA Board of Directors for representation and leadership. To have a better vision of all that these Assisted Living leaders do for their companies and CALA members, we asked them a series of questions. Their answers illuminate their ideas on work, community, and caring for seniors, and show the breadth and variety of companies represented on the CALA Board of Directors. To celebrate these thoughtful, dedicated people working on our members’ behalf, we will feature weekly interviews with each board member, available here and on the CALA Board of Directors webpage.
As the chief operating officer for Western Living Concepts, headquartered in Arcata, CA, Larona Farnum oversees operations for three communities in northern California.
1. Why do you work in Assisted Living?
I make a direct difference in over 200 seniors’ lives, not counting their families.
2. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt, and why?
Emergency room concierge, to make sure all receive the treatment and expertise that they need.
3. What are the most important things we should know about your company?
Our company has dedicated, honest, and compassionate employees. We are senior living at its finest.
4. How would you describe your experience on the CALA board?
My participation on the CALA board has opened up communications and networking with people that have many more years’ experience than I.
5. How would your colleagues describe you in three words?
Passionate, successful, and full of integrity
6. What song best describes your work ethic?
I will survive.
7. If you could bring three items with you to a deserted island, what would you pack, and why?
Books, because I can’t recharge my Kindle, a sharp instrument, a sunhat…and an optional Diet Coke.