Members and potential members look to the CALA Board of Directors for representation and leadership. To have a better vision of all that these Assisted Living leaders do for their companies and CALA members, we asked them a series of questions. Their answers illuminate their ideas on work, community, and caring for seniors, and show the breadth and variety of companies represented on the CALA Board of Directors. To celebrate these thoughtful, dedicated people working on our members’ behalf, we will feature weekly interviews with each board member, available here and on the CALA Board of Directors webpage.
As the divisional vice president of Five Star Senior Living, Bart Bolt is responsible for 60 communities in 11 states, including nine communities throughout the state of California.
1. Why do you work in Assisted Living?
I have worked in long-term care since ninth grade and I have always enjoyed serving seniors.
2. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt, and why?
I would love to drive race cars—hopefully CALA will be the sponsor.
3. What are the most important things we should know about your company?
I truly believe that Five Star lives its values each day. We are one of the top providers in the country with over 260 communities.
4. How would you describe your experience on the CALA board?
My experience has been supportive, informative, and proactive.
5. Who are your heroes, and why?
Our resident couples who have long marriages and still show lots of love and affection.
6. What advice was given to you that you feel elevated your performance in life?
Control what you can control, the rest will fall into place.
7. What song best describes your work ethic?
A better question would be what song doesn’t describe my work ethic: “Working 9 to 5.”